How to travel to Calgary:

Calgary is accessed through the Calgary International Airport, located 17 km northeast of Calgary city centre.  Daily direct flights from Europe (Frankfurt, London, Amsterdam), Asia (Tokyo, Beijing), and the US are available.  A multitude of one-stop connections are also readily available by planning travel through Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Chicago, Denver, or Los Angeles.   

Travel from the airport to the city is best done by taxi.  Fares from the airport to Calgary centre or the University of Calgary campus are approximately $50 CAD.  A less expensive albeit slower method of travel is by Calgary Transit and Route 300 which connects the airport to Calgary centre.  The cost for Route 300 is $10.00, and tickets can be purchased either at Mac’s stores in the airport terminal or using exact change in the Ticket Vending Machines next to the airport bus zone.  Route 300 provides connection to downtown hotels, or to the C-Train (light-rail transit) along 7th Avenue in the downtown core.  The C-Train then provides connection to the University of Calgary and Hotel Alma (via University C-Train Station) or to Hotel Village Area Hotels located near the Banff Trail C-Train Station on the Tuscany Line.  The cost of a single ticket on the C-Train is $3.25

Airport Route 300

Calgary C-Train

Calgary Transit

How to travel within Calgary:

Travel within Calgary is best done using the C-Train, a light-rail transit system that connects the University of Calgary to both the Banff Trail C-Train Station and the downtown core where many of the recommended conference hotels are located.  A C-Train ticket is $3.25 which provides for up to 90 minutes of travel.  Tickets can be purchased at the entrance to any C-Train station, or books of 10 can be purchased from Calgary convenience stores (Mac’s, 7-Eleven) or Calgary grocery stores (Safeway, Co-op).  If purchasing a book of 10, make sure to validate your ticket at the ticket vending machine prior to entering the fare restricted zone.  Ticket validation machines are often located next to single-ticket vending machines.

Immigration requirements for entry to Canada:

Conference registrants must fulfill the Government of Canada’s immigration requirements to be eligible for entry to Canada. With the exception of citizens of the USA, citizens of all countries will require either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. To determine whether you need a TRV or an eTA, please visit the following website and select your country of citizenship:

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa?

Information on how to apply for an eTA can be found at:

Apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Details on how to apply for a TRV (also known as a “visitor visa”) can be found at:

Applying for a visitor visa

Note that processing times for visas vary widely depending on the country from which you are applying. It is recommended that if a visitor visa is required, you apply for a visa as soon as your attendance is confirmed, as visa requests can often take months to process. Current processing times can be found at:

Application processing times

The CDIO 2017 Conference Secretariat would be pleased to provide letters of invitation to registered conference delegates to assist in their visa applications for travel to Canada.  In order to be issued an invitation letter, the participant must be registered for the Conference.

Letters of invitation will not be issued to Accompanying Persons.  Please note that while the letter will be an official invitation, applicants are responsible for all costs of attending CDIO 2017. 

All visa applicants should be prepared to provide to immigration officers proof of conference registration, location of intended accommodations, as well as proof of adequate financial support for the duration of their stay in Canada.